2011

2011
True colors

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Side-trackedness

I am the side-track queen and monarch of this kingdom. I rule in side-trackedness. Cleaning the house brings forth this trait in all it's resplendent glory. I have learned to have a timer and set it for a specific time during which I can  not leave that room and must stack items for delivery to other locations outside the room.  This adaptation was necessary as I would travel from the first room to put away items in another room. Start picking up that room and find something that belonged in another room, where the cycle would begin anew. The short of it was no room really received the cleaning it needed.

I'm thinking of keeping a side- track journal. Where I started, where I ended up, and how I got there. My very own fantastic journey.  Occasionally, my family gets to partake of this randomness. I think my husband first saw this trait when we were driving to San Fransisco for our honeymoon.  We'd be talking and then quiet for a few moments.  The next thing I'd say would have nothing to do with previous conversation.  He would shake his head, laugh and ask how I came to that topic.  To me, everything is connected to something and nothing just 'is'.  Now, 26 years later, my husband who still loves me and doesn't find this characteristic quite as endearing, has learned what he needs to do to keep me focused.  1. He never asks me do something at the beginning of a conversation. That would just be silly. 2. He will check back  and asks how the said errand is going. How is that for diplomacy?! 3. He sics the kids on me.  Honestly, I appreciate it- sometimes.

I have children who have inherited both of these traits. Some are looking to reign in my kingdom and others are learning how to survive in it.

I wasn't planning on blogging today. Just sent off two DearElders, checked email, Jodi and Tyler's blog, and now, I think I will go do what I was supposed to do 2 hours ago.  The internet is a buffet for a side-track queen.

1 comment:

Followers